Thursday, April 14, 2011

Change is the only constant

These days my dinner consists of a single thing on a plate; a piece of toasted bread, one egg - sunny side up, and a sausage. A pack of instant noodle and one egg - sunny side up. Sometimes they are leftovers. Like last night; it was half a tandoori nan and few pieces of chicken curry from my lunch at the office.

After the merry housewarming party last weekend, the plates and bowls and glasses and the frying pan and pots seems too much for my consumption alone. I feel affluent; I've never owned so many things before.

It has been quite a change, coming home to a quiet house. As sun sets my feet shuffle around quietly, from bedroom to the kitchen and back to the living room where my books are sprawling on the floor. The only noise I get is from my loyal audio set where it sings its melancholic songs.

I'm still trying to make sense of these new found freedom and its inevitable silence; although sometimes I get struck with panic at its prickling quietness, mostly I cherish the time to get lost in the sea of my own thoughts and imagination, just like Emma Morley does;

"Sometimes she thinks how nice it would be to be woken by a call in the night: 'get in a taxi now' or 'Í need to see you, we need to talk'. But the best of times she feels like a character in a Muriel Spark novel - independent, bookish, sharp-minded, secretly romantic." - One Day by David Nicholls

4 comments:

Opie said...

Ah, what I would give to begin a life that is full of the peace and quiet and freedom! (-_____-)v

But alas, it seems my life is not my own at the moment, and I'm beginning to wonder if it'll ever be..

Unknown said...

Kak Sofie,

Is it a cliche when they say, we don't know how lucky we are until we lose something?

You've given so much of yourself to others, I believe the day will come when everything is going to be worth it.

I read a quote today which I found very comforting,

"And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should"

You will know when that day of peace and freedom come, and believe me it'll be all yours to enjoy!

:)

Unknown said...

Oh, by the way, Kak Sofie,

If you ever need a temporary pit stop, my house is and always will be open for you!

:)

Opie said...

Ah, pit stop is the right word! ^^

My life, the never-ending race towards oblivion..

Thank you for the offer. I'll definitely take you up on it sometime.. :p

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...