Monday, January 9, 2012

Do what brings you joy

"Do what brings you joy”, was the holiday message of Money Rabbit, and I concur.

The foreboding sense of a new year falling upon us, and the 2011 which came to an end in a split second has left me wondering about my life – and put me in contemplative mode of what-have-I-achieved-so-far and have-I-done-enough-for-my life.

2010, when I first started work – feels like a long time ago. 2009, when I left Australia almost seems like never happened.

Life has slowed down a great deal in 2011. As a compulsive achiever who is always greedy to get to the next point in her life, it means a lot to me.

However, to say my life has come to a standstill is probably inaccurate. It was not going forward outwardly (in the sense of adding new stuffs to my life portfolio – new degrees, new house, new friends, new jobs, etc.), but I ended up creating and expanding a lot of space inside me.

Looking back now, I am beginning to see 2011 is my year of great de-cluttering.

I learned to make peace with moving through life at a slower pace, I learned to appreciate how being here and now is enough.

I recognised and accepted the realities of my relationships with everyone around me, why some is working while others not. I learned a lesson on ownership and entitlement; I do not own people, and I'm not entitled to own people.

The result was a liberating experience. I feel light. Accepting I alone am responsible for the direction of my life, while at the same time recognising there are always larger things at play in influencing the course of my life - allows me the simplicity of taking one step at a time.

Every day, every decision I make; I choose joy, I choose empathy, I choose love.

It's not easy, sometimes I carelessly chose anger and vengeance, but I am learning.

No comments:

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...