Thursday, March 1, 2012

Buy (and do) things which make you (truly) happy

I discovered Gretchen Rubin’s post where she writes about how “what you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while” when I was browsing through Psychology Today (which I read for fun). I was struck by how clearly the article spoke to me, and how simple and obvious things are usually the most profound.

Later, Get Rich Slowly featured an article which describes how people tend to spend on something they do rarely, instead of what they do everyday. We usually spend for our “pretend life“, a life we wish we could have (parading around with a Prada, or driving a car you couldn’t afford, for example?), instead of investing in real life.

What have the articles got to do anything? Everything, our happiness, and (of course), our finance. I believe they demonstrate the fundamental of financial wisdom, spend on things you do every day.

As we know it, personal values, emotions, and environment underlie our spending pattern, and although it sounds simple, the great introspection required to understand them maybe not so.

No comments:

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...