Monday, February 16, 2009

The Magician's Nephew

I enjoy reading children and young adult books because it makes me feel optimistic about life. Being in the world where you can be mad at anyone and love them again when you feel like to, the world where everything is so transparent and clear cut, where love is love, good is good, and evil is evil.

The Magician's Nephew first caught my attention at my dad's friend's house. I only managed to briefly peruse the hard-bound complete series of the Chronicles of Narnia with its pretty light coloured illustrations, so when I got home later I immediately rushed to the library (oh God bless Australian libraries!) to get hold of the book.

The story proved to be a short and enjoyable read, the plot itself spans around the 24 hours London time where Diggory and Polly met, became friends and embarked on their journey together to witness the birth of Narnia. In short, the Magician's Nephew tells us the story before the times of the four Pevensies' brothers and sisters, and it logically explains how the wardrobe ends up giving access to Narnia from our world.

Oh, my. I think I pretty much watered down the story with my review. You'd better read it yourself to feel the magic. You will, I know. Because I did.

No comments:

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...