Monday, February 2, 2009

Cookies Ahoy, Captain Cook!

I was reading Alexander McCall Smith's Love Over Scotland when I came across Domenica talking about Somerset Maugham's The Painted Veil, which I recently finished prior to reading the book. This morning, in my determination to catch Frost/Nixon at Paddington by 4 p.m. today I read about Matthew's discussion with his dad about the temperament of the Richard Nixon over breakfast.

Sometimes it amuses me to think these books have lives of their own and I imagine their witty remarks about me reading them and making connections between one and the other.

II

We had visitors at home last night, while my housemate and I were watching the Australian Open final match of men's single between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal (a historic and emotional performance which somehow I found to be quite personal - Federer is one of my best youth and social heroes, while Nadal struck a chord in me as another left-handed player who carved history in his own ways).

Two possums perched on the barbeque griller at the backyard, I had welcomed them with delight. We fed both possums multi-grain bread and I had the liberty to give a couple of pats to the older possum (fondly referred to as Cookie) while the younger one (Cookie junior) made his safe distance from us without leaving the sight of the bread in our hands.

III

Life is beautiful. Differences are beautiful.

No comments:

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...