Thursday, November 4, 2010

What is your notion of happiness?

"I hope you'll find your happiness in the end", he said with a sigh.

It was a close of a discussion, blanketed in despair. It was said without hope for the real meaning of the words uttered. I smiled, amused at what he implied in his final words to me.

Our conversation was a result of a deep rooted discussion about my beliefs in god and religion. Him a devout but moderate believer, I a wavering agnostic. Earlier, when I confessed my doubts in what is considered real truth by many people, he welcomed my differences. He celebrated the opportunities to debate what might be an intellectual/faith differences.

But lately, and gradually, he cemented his conclusion with hopes that I am to eventually find my way back to religion, that finally god will open my heart. As if to imply all along, I am not on the right path.

What if, I wonder to myself after my conversation with my good friend - I already found my happiness? What if I've already found my answers and they are not necessarily found in the way he had hoped for me?

Say, if I don't take what is considered the virtuous path of many, would my decisions be any less correct, true, or relevant?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam...

it has been a while isn' it =)
that if you still remember me of course
so how's life..? i hope it is the best...
nevertheless all the best in everything.

Unknown said...

Hey, Dr. Capin!

Fancy meeting you here. It's been a while indeed.

Life for me is...(What does it mean when you cannot find immediate answer? It seems that I cannot find immediate answer to everything these days).

Life is good, nevertheless.

I hope it is the same for you too at the other end?

(I'm trying to remember what was it which made us friends back then!)

Anonymous said...

haha...
sy pon dah lupa camna leh ketemu...
the only thing that i remember is the first and last time we met and the nice treat from you
i'm staying in alor setar, now in forensic medicine already 2 years.. insha Allah will pursue my master this year
anyway, you don't change much... masih tulis panjang² dalam blog haha (at least now i have something decent to read haha)

Unknown said...

Dr. Capin,

Glad to know you thought my blog is decent to read (despite the fact there're only 2 posts in it)!

Oh, I was in Alor Setar last July, and we're still drooling over the ikan keli bakar we had somewhere at Kuala Kedah last time.

Btw, I'm in Putrajaya. Working for almost a year already. Now, before we make this blog as a space to catch up on old times - let me leave you with my e-mail:

Write to nurhidayatia@gmail.com whenever, I'll treat you with something nice again if you happen to be around Putrajaya.

Cheers!

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...