Thursday, July 7, 2011

Harvesting basil

I am turning my fingers green. Bought a small basil plant last week and every day now when I wake up I leap out of bed to see if the plant is still alive.

Been experimenting with watering and mulching the soil, and thanks to the much-needed guidance from Google, the plant is still alive and sprouting new buds. Yesterday with much excitement I harvested some of the leaves to  make baked pasta with mozarella.

The recipe to serve 2;

Preheat oven. Chop half of a white onion with two garlic and a chilli, sautee in olive oil. Put in some salt and pepper to taste, and pour in a can of plum tomato (chopped finely, crushed or blended). Tear in the basil leaves and let the sauce simmer. Cook pasta accordingly and toss with the sauce when done. Layer the pasta with Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and pop into the oven to cook until the cheese is golden and yummy. 

A quick and simple recipe, and a good attempt for those who are trying to go vegetarian in their meals because the mozzarella cheese definitely provides the wholesome and proteinaceous quality of meat.

For varieties, the baked pasta can be decoratively (and nutritiously) added with zucchini or eggplant, roasted on stove with olive oil with a dash of salt and pepper.

8 comments:

Opie said...

Whoa, I love basil!! I like it raw, like our ulam raja? It has such a fragrant tang to it..

Your recipe reminded me of tuna casseroles. I usually make it with penne, tuna, eggs, mushroom soup, oregano/cilantro, basil and lots and lots of mozzarella cheese, yum! XD

Anonymous said...

saya baru tahu 2 bulan lepas yang eggplant tu adalah terung...bukan benda2 berkaitan telur pun,,

izra said...

yati..tak nak ajak kitorang makan ke? kuikui. nurul dan Han Muni Joon :)

Unknown said...

Kak Sofie,

Tuna casseroles sounds yum too! These days I'm always on the lookout for easy and quick recipe which I can pack and re-heat for lunch at the office the next day.

Will give this one a try definitely!

Pojan,

Another name for eggplant a.k.a terung is brinjal.

Han Muni Joon,

Comelnya nama! Jomlah datang rumah! My door is always open to all of you and you know it. Nak dtg adhoc pun tak apa. Hehe.

Opie said...

Ati,

I'll give you the full recipe later kay? ^^


Pojan,

It's nice to learn new things everyday, isn't it? Ladies fingers tau..? ;p


Mun,

Comelnya nama samaran! XD I'd make one up for myself, but it would just sound bad, because koreans can't pronounce 'F' properly.. (=_=)

There is a Korean artist I like which goes by the name Mun Hee Jun (previously a member of H.O.T) dia nyanyi lagu rock+alternatives tapi, cam Gackt, Shana's favorite singer from Japan! ;p

Anonymous said...

Ladies fingers is also known as okra kan?

Opie said...

Yes Pojan, ladies fingers is also called okra..

Now, what is okra? ;p

Unknown said...

All these talks about okra and brinjal makes me want to eat Indian food.

I had vegetarian Indian food at Brickfields the other day, I want to bring all of you there one day!

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...