Thursday, May 26, 2011

Breaking boundaries

I stepped into the business lounge and my step was frozen. A vivid image of a scene in a Godfather-like movie rushed into my mind where rich and old businessmen are sitting around in a dimly lit room clouded with cigar smoke, coffee and tea half-drank and cups littered with ashes, hushed voices indicates discussion of important but hazy business.

I chuckled to myself. Even though I know I was supposed to be impressed with the situation, I found it strangely comical.

"Ah, I was looking for you." A deep, hoarse voice interrupted my line of thoughts and I looked to the left. Three men were approaching, dapper in suits and shiny shoes. I smiled and shook hands with them. We exchanged pleasantries and ever gentlemen, they led me through the door to get to our seats.

As we sat, I suddenly felt eyes on me. I looked around and noticed an interested look thrown by the on-lookers. In passing, I wondered why before I turned to join the conversation again.

We spoke for the next hour; they did most of the talking, while I took notes and chipped in when necessary. For them it's a business opportunity, for me it's a learning experience.

When we stood up to leave later, shaking hands again and promising to follow up and keep in touch, once again I saw heads turned from other tables. I stepped back and took a good look at our group; a Chinese man and his son, an Acehnese who has been working here for more than 10 years, an Irish who loves his char kuey teow, a Malay uncle who hailed from the same place where my parents live; they are all grown men and I, a young woman in scarf who sat and stood on the same par with them.

It's becoming regular occurrences now, to find myself in a situation where conventions dictates I have no business being there.  But, who's to say what or who I am determines what I can or can't do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i need to fatten up my communication skills too!!! aduh, takutnya nak melangkah dunia kerjaya. selalu orang cakap saya sombong sbb diam.

Unknown said...

Pojan,

I think you're already living alam kerjaya!

But in any case, I'm sure you'll do well. All of us I believe are resilient stock, campak mana pun akan survive.

In sya Allah. :)

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...