Monday, May 23, 2011

Think of yourself as Me, Inc.

"Stop thinking of yourself as a dweeb who needs a job, and start thinking of yourself as a financial entity that must survive over a half century. By viewing yourself as a small company, you practice goal-setting, accountability, strategic planning, financial management, and marketing, and give yourself a framework for success." - Martin Yate

I like the idea of being the CEO of my own life. Especially when Alexandra Levit likens our professional development to a smart phone, downloading various useful apps (skills and responsibilities) which allows us to function and serve useful purpose to those around us.

I've been through a career hellhole, but one day when I was sitting in front of a friend and he asked, locking my eyes in earnest, "so, you are going to stay with the job until 2013?", I was suddenly struck with a realisation that I've never felt so clear about what I had to do with my life, until then.

I knew my answer to him wasn't very assuring when I gave him a non-committal smile and a half-nod. But I'm suddenly aware of an alignment as to what I am inside and what I can offer to the world - reliability. And such awareness gives me a renewed sense of purpose when I was back at the office the next week.

"In life we do not always get an opportunity to do what we like best at the time of our choosing. Search and you will find." Those are the words of Tunku Aziz when I sought his advice. I thought; if I can't find now, if I'm yet to understand - then I might as well give it my best shot while I'm at it.

No comments:

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...