Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It's warm in Berlin

The weather is warmer in Berlin than I thought it would be. And Charlottenburg, a quaint town on the outskirt of Berlin is a moderately quiet city with a charm of its own.

People rides their bike a lot around here, and in a lot of manners; from the most sporty to men in suits or scruffy young adults who look like they just got out of bed and decide to go to work in their best shirt, unironed.

Berliners like to take their meals slowly, and as a result at cafe and restaurants you will find yourself waiting 20 to 30 minutes for your meals to come when you ordered. And most people linger after dinner for 1 hour or more.

They like to take their food crude and wholesome too, so you will find none of the elaborate European dishes you often see on TV. Think steaks, mashed peas and potatoes, and of course, sausages in many varieties.

It feels good to discover Berlin slowly, and not bedraggled with the rushed feeling often associated with being a tourist. My perspective of the city grows larger by day, and it's hard not to feel warmed by its quiet pleasantness as my trip goes on.

2 comments:

Opie said...

Pictures? ^^

Almost everywhere else in the world time seems to slow down some and give you the chance to breathe.. Even when I was in Madinah, amidst thousands of people rushing all over, there is a relative calm I've come to love.

Cherish these moments Ati, because being back here in Malaysia, I've started to miss them dearly!

Have fun! ^^

Unknown said...

Kak Sofie,

Here's a catch, I don't bring a camera! :)

The trip has turned out to be a pleasant surprise, given that it's a business trip.

I will look forward to catch up with you ladies when I come back!

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...