Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Beauty Needs No Ornamentation

So I finally made it inside the Sydney Opera House, and I think for the most amazing performance I've ever experienced in my life. For those of you who might not recognized the group in the picture, I can only recommend you to watch ONCE, a "life imitating art" movie revolving around the story of an independent artist trying to make a break in music industry.

Glen Hansard's voice is a powerhouse, he performs with such agility and flexibility you would think he's going to lose his voice right there on the stage, but he didn't. Marketa, on the other hand, is so gentle you feel like you're looking at a child. Looking at both of them together is simply, magical (Ah, the lots of you know what a romantic fool I am!).

They are funny too, when Glen brought out a cup of drink for Marketa as she was about to sing. Marketa simply said, "Oh, well, it's great isn't it?". All of us burst out laughing and she continued to say, "This song is for all men who make their women a good cup of tea." So Irish, so lovely - I thought.

They performed about 15 songs, Colm Mac Con Iomaire (look how Irish the name is) the violin player is amazing, while Joe Doyle I think looks a bit like Mark Rufallo. All in all, it was a concert to remember. Now I can cross it out of my 18 Things to Do in Australia, a great one to note!

Listen to The Swell Season by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

No comments:

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...