Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The point of any journey was to find out where you came from

The point of any journey was to find out where you came from - TS Eliot, I wonder in reference to my own life, which journey should I regard as the search, and which destination should I consider as my point of departure. Today, approximately eighteen months after I left home to Sydney, Australia - I'm back to point zero.

In July, 2008 - I was three months away from turning 23, a Muslim, a fresh graduate who refused to work in her field, and struggling to make peace with my ever present but almost estranged father.

In December, 2009 - I am 24, a young woman who just had the time of her life in the company of citizens of the world, my faith in religion dwindling to nothingness, optimistic with my career trajectory, but nevertheless, still trying to break free from the mould of society set on me since the day I was born.

The truth is, I realized today even when I thought my journey has ended - my questions which need answering will continue to haunt me until the day I die. What am I? Where am I heading now? Why things happened the way they did? There is no textbook in the world which I can pry open and flip furiously to give me the correct answer. My strategy at the moment is - make the choice now, do it, and deal with it later.

So, the blog is an attempt at utter and simple honesty. It's going to be immensely personal, and at times provoking. But I am not doing it because I am a rebel, but simply because I am trying to be myself. What happens next, I hand it over to whoever is reading at the other end.

No comments:

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...