Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Letter from Sydney

It’s mid-afternoon and the winter is at its end. Apart from the occasionally freezing wind blowing through the streets, the ocean is blue as the sky is clear, the sun is out and people wear shorts and thongs as if it is already summer. Mothers are sitting in a circle at one corner of the park, while a strong whiff of steak is distracting the passers-by as a group of youngsters are making full use one of the electric barbeques available for the public. Bikers, skateboarders, and casual runners keep passing by on the concrete pathway, and away in the sand a group of men are playing volleyball.


It’s 2 p.m. in broad daylight, it’s not weekend, it’s Australia – it’s my home for the time being and another fifteen months to come, and I love it to bits.

G’DAY FOLKS!

This is Ati, your book-loving friend writing from Sydney, Australia. I am at the moment completing my postgraduate degree in Environmental Management at the University of New South Wales (UNSW). Did I hear you said boring? Wait till you read the rest of my story!

Sydney is indeed a breeze of fresh air in comparison to Malaysia. The city is clean, the people are friendly, and nature is everywhere. When you look at the map and see how big Australia is compared to our country, believe me you’ll get the same feeling of wonder once you set your feet in this majestic country. I remember being swept away as my eyes caught the glimpse of Sydney Opera House from afar, its geometric roofs sprouted to the sky like a flower. You’ll be impressed with the Blue Mountains too; the vast sprawling forest covers spreads before you like a carpet, with a sprinkle of blue mist all over it. Oh and the beaches! I currently live in one of the Eastern Coastal Suburbs of Sydney, Coogee, and the beach is five minutes away from my house. The other day I was informed by my friend a mother whale and its calf are swimming leisurely in the ocean, meters away from the beach and I only had to run from the house in my flip flops to watch it. It’s like nature in my own backyard!

My dear readers, you’re already fuming with envy, aren’t you? I am not stopping yet! Australians, as it turns out, are quite big on sports and getting fit. That means plenty of pretty lasses and gorgeous blokes in their sports attire going around and about every day; running along the beach surfing in the sea, and coming in and out of the gym. In fact, if you look at the UNSW lifestyle centre (fancy word for gym, eh?), there are so many people in it made me wonder if these guys are doing their degree in getting fit or something. But eye candy aplenty nevertheless! People in Australia are extremely friendly too; only with a simple “Hi!” and “Good morning!” thrown out with a big smile, I could easily initiate a lengthy conversation with a stranger. Furthermore, they are so generous with kindness and affections, and to feel out of place in Sydney is definitely out of question. In fact, I think it is impossible not to go through the day without a slightest feeling of confidence and optimism about life once you encounter Australia and its people.

Now to the question of yours-truly, I must’ve written with enormous exuberance you might think I am not missing Malaysia at all. You’re partially correct my dear friend. If we’re talking about food, thanks to my culinary skills and the Kipas Udang soy sauce which I can always buy from the nearest oriental market, Malaysian food are always only a kitchen away. Recently I realized how simple yet creative our ancestors had been with the creation of food; the other day by using the same ingredients all over again, I was able to make buah Melaka, kuih koci, and tepung bungkus!

What about nasi briyani, roti canai, ayam tandoori and all those mamak cuisines I had always been so besotted with at home? No worries mate, did I tell you I am living with three housemates from India who are all exceptional in cooking we end up talking about opening a restaurant in Sydney instead of finishing our Master’s degrees. Fasting? Apart from occasional envy I lashed out at my brother for bragging about the lots of nasi dagang and satay he was having at home, the day ends as early as 5.30 p.m. in Sydney (and 3.30 p.m. in Malaysia, giving me a tons of reason to get back at him), so it’s not too bad at all.

Food aside, I am happy to let you know that I am indeed savoring my time in Sydney. The openness in which Australians practice in their discussion in particular allows me to express my opinions (and confusions) rather freely compared to what I had experienced at home, and it consequently gives me more room and courage in tackling the issue head on instead of keeping it boiling inside me. Nevertheless, as I had left Malaysia with the sole aim to untangle various confusions I was experiencing in relation to my religion, culture, and society, I am certain as much as I am enjoying my time in Australia, I will be looking forward to go back. Like the last time I attended a Malam Gema Merdeka organized by Malaysian students in conjunction with our National Day, I couldn’t believe myself as tears welled up in my eyes upon hearing M.Nasir’s Mentera Semerah Padi. I knew right then and there although sometimes there are so much I am unhappy about the current affairs in Malaysia, the country is as close to me as my own blood.

In the meantime my dear readers, I have fifteen months left and I am going to Fiji soon!

Your spirited book-lover, ATI

No comments:

The end

After nearly ten years, ati-the-reader.blogspot.com is now concluding its final chapter. The blog has been a definitive part of my life, an...